Thomas was born about 1626, the son of unknown parents. The place is not known.
He died in JAN 1671. The place is not known.
His wife was Mary Grayette, who he married in BEF 1646. The place has not been found. Their five known children were Thomas (c1646-1718), Francis (1654-?), John (c1662-c1711), Michael (c1668-?) and Joyce (c1671-?).
|Burial||18 JAN 1671||
!buried: listed as pauper. Sometimes shown as 1670 rather than 1671, due to double date of the time.
!Source: Madeley Parish Records.
!Note: This marriage took place during the English Civil War, and events in Madeley during that war must have affected the family and the local records.
!Note: Their son Thomas’ birth in Much Wenlock in 1645 ties them to that Parish. Early records (1560) from Much Wenlock refer to "Gozebradley" and "Burton Chapel" as where the earliest Hotchkisses in Much Wenlock were from.
!Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/ - History
The settlement of Madeley is recorded as far back as the Domesday Book. The town was founded prior to the 8th century, and subsequently became a market town, in the 13th century. Mining of coal began before 1322, and of ironstone by 1540.
The town played a role in the English Civil War, as it was home to a garrison of Royalist soldiers in 1645, although this was abandoned after the fall of Shrewsbury. Two months following this, Paliamentary forces occupied the parish church. Madeley is also home to a barn in which King Charles II hid after the Battle of Worcester in 1651.
In the 17th century, Madeley was a small market town, but local tradesmen began to specialise: working in the river trade and in mining. In the 18th century, The Iron Bridge was built between Madeley Wood and Coalbrookdale.
!Source: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22888 - British History Online Much Wenlock
Sponsor Victoria County History
Publication A History of the County of Shropshire: Volume 10
Author C R J Currie (Editor), A P Baggs, G C Baugh, D C Cox, Jessie McFall, P A Stamper
Year published 1998
Supporting documents Note on abbreviations
Citation 'Much Wenlock', A History of the County of Shropshire: Volume 10: Munslow Hundred
(part), The Liberty and Borough of Wenlock (1998), pp. 399-447. URL:
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22888. Date accessed: 01 March 2008.
BRADELEY, formerly Goose (or West) Bradeley, was held of Wenlock priory in 1255 by Robert de
Beysin, lord of Broseley, (fn. 45) though descendants of Eadric of Wenlock, lord of Bourton in
1086, seem to have had an interest there in the late 13th century. (fn. 46) John Easthope, lord of
Easthope, had property in West Bradeley in 1427, which his feoffees conveyed in 1440 to John
Ashfield of Much Wenlock. (fn. 47) In 1443 Ashfield (d. c. 1455) held the reputed manor of
Bradeley, (fn. 48) and John Ashfield (d. 1506) held it of John Harewell, lord of Broseley.
Ashfield was succeeded by his son Christopher, (fn. 49) who sold Bradeley to John Leveson in 1544.
(fn. 50) A year later Leveson sold it to Richard Lawley, purchaser of Bourton and Callaughton.
(fn. 51) The estate descended thereafter with Bourton. (fn. 52) A connexion with Broseley remained
in 1620. (fn. 53) Still reputed a manor in 1799, (fn. 54) Bradeley seems later to have been
absorbed into Bourton manor. (fn. 55)
In 1281 a rent of 24s. in Bradeley was given to Limebrook priory (Herefs.) by Sir Reynold of Lee,
(fn. 56) and the priory seems to have retained it until its surrender in 1539. (fn. 57)
The chapel of the HOLY TRINITY, Bourton, so dedicated by 1897, (fn. 18) was never assigned a
separate district. Bradeley people were baptized there by the 14th century, (fn. 19) a wedding was
allowed in 1538, (fn. 20) and burials were made by 1673, (fn. 21) but no baptism or burial
registers were kept until 1841 (fn. 22) and there was no licence for weddings until 1955. (fn. 23)
A service of Our Lady, endowed with land at Bradeley, was said to have existed before the
Reformation. (fn. 24)
A 'parson' was mentioned in 1556, (fn. 25) but the separate benefice dated from 1770 when
endowments of £200 each were provided by the Revd. Francis Southern, Sir Robert Lawley, and Queen
Anne's Bounty. In 1771 Queen Anne's Bounty gave £400 more to meet the Southern and Lawley
benefactions, (fn. 26) and that year the living was recorded as a perpetual curacy in the vicar's
gift. (fn. 27) Its value was £40 in 1793. (fn. 28) Queen Anne's Bounty gave another £200 in 1826.
(fn. 29) In 1851 the endowment included Black House farm (in Bettws-y-crwyn) (fn. 30) worth £50 a
year, while £6 a year came from the Bounty. (fn. 31) The vicar himself held the curacy 1788-1833
and 1870- 1926. (fn. 32) R. H. G. More, minister of Shipton, (fn. 33) served the cure unpaid
1833-69 (fn. 34) assigning the income to an assistant curate, (fn. 35) a practice adopted by the
vicar after 1870 (fn. 36) but discontinued before 1898. (fn. 37)
In 1716 there was a weekly service, with sermon. (fn. 38) In 1851 there were two Sunday services
in summer and one in winter. Morning attendance averaged 95 adults, afternoon 25. (fn. 39)
Congregations at the end of the 19th century 'represented all classes'. (fn. 40)
The small plain chapel stands on a hill above the village. It is built of sandstone and limestone
rubble and has a chancel with north vestry and a nave with south porch, north aisle, and
timber-clad west bell turret. (fn. 41) The nave seems from its south doorway (integral with the
nave plinth) to have been built in the 12th century. The plain cylindrical font seems contemporary
with it. The upper part of the nave south wall was rebuilt later in the Middle Ages; there was
formerly a square-headed window east of the porch. (fn. 42) The porch is later than the rebuilt
south wall. The chancel was heightened, probably in the later Middle Ages; there was a late 13th-
or early 14th-century square-headed window, since blocked, in its south wall, and the head of
another remains in the east wall over a 19th-century gothic window. In 1844 a Norman aisle was
added to the nave at Lady Lawley's expense, (fn. 43) presumably with the chancel arch and two nave
windows, which are in the same style. A north vestry was added to the chancel later in the
A large ornate wooden pulpit dates from the later 16th or earlier 17th century, and panels of the
same period are used in the 19th-century reading desk, lectern, and dado. The communion rail is
earlier 18th-century. There were two bells in 1552; (fn. 44) four new ones were cast by Thomas
Rudhall in 1770. (fn. 45) The plate consisted in 1961 of a silver chalice, paten, and flagon, all
dated 1774, and a silver paten of 1885. (fn. 46) The funeral hatchment of Lord Wenlock (d. 1834)
hangs in the aisle. The pews are of 1844 (fn. 47) and so, probably, is the west gallery, which has
a stair from the aisle. The only stained glass, in the chancel east window, was dedicated in 1955.
(fn. 48) The communion table dates from c. 1972. (fn. 49)