John Hotchkiss

portrait
Contents

Personal and Family Information

John was born about 1512 in England, the son of Roger Hotchkiss and Elizabeth.

He died in 1557 in Shawbury, Shropshire, England.

His wife is not known. They were married, but the date and place have not been found. Their nine known children were Roger (c1536-1586), John (c1536-c1576), Leonard (c1538-?), Elizabeth (c1539-?), William (c1541-?), Edmonde (c1546-?), Margaret (c1552-?), Elizabeth (c1553-?) and Margreta (c1558-?).

Pedigree Chart (3 generations)


 

John Hotchkiss
(c1512-1557)

 

Roger Hotchkiss
(c1480-c1573)

 

John Hotchkiss
(c1440-<1506)

 

William Hotchkiss
(c1405->1461)

 
     
 
 
   

Margaret Heynes
(c1445-?)

 

Thomas Heynes
(c1420-?)

 
     
 
 
   

Elizabeth
(c1480-c1534)

   
 
   
 
 
     
 
 
     
 
   
 
 
     
 
 

Events

EventDateDetailsSourceMultimediaNotes
BirthABT 1512
Place: England
Death1557
Place: Shawbury, Shropshire, England

Multimedia

media
Bourton
media
John&Elizabe...
media
BourtonCente...

Notes

Note 1

!Source: www.findmypast.co.uk Record Transcription: Staffordshire, Dioceses Of Lichfield And Coventry Wills And Probate 1521-1860

Place Shawbury, Shropshire, England

First name[s] John

Last name Hodgekies

Year 1557

Will year 1557

Parish Shawbury

County Shropshire

Country England

Series description Registered wills and original wills, administrations and inventories, 1494-1860, and, act books, 1532-1638 for Diocese of Lichfield Episcopal Consistory Court

Piece description Calendar of wills and admons.

Piece surname range A-L

Piece year range 1494-1650

Record set Staffordshire, Dioceses Of Lichfield And Coventry Wills And Probate 1521-1860

Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records

Subcategory Wills & Probate

Collections from England, Great Britain

Notes: Probate Calendar 1557 Dec 9

!Source: www.familysearch.org England Marriages, 1538–1973

Name: Thomas Gardnor

Spouse's Name: Elizabeth Hotchekys

Event Date: 09 Sep 1560

Event Place: Much Wenlock,Shropshire,England

Spouse's Father's Name: John Hotchekys <<<

!Source: Chancery Prodeedings Series II. Vol. II, 1579-1621

23 | Reynolds, Richard | Hotchkis, John, and Elizabeth his wife | Bagley, Kenwick Wood and Shaburie | Salop

!Notes: Children John, Edward and Sarah all have ties to Ludlow.

!Source: www.findmypast.co.uk Record Transcription: England Marriages 1538-1973

First name[s] Elizabeth

Last name Hotchekys

Name note -

Marriage year 1560

Marriage date 09 Sep 1560

Marriage place Much Wenlock

Father's first name[s] John <<<

Father's last name Hotchekys <<<

Spouse's first name[s] Thomas

Spouse's last name Gardnor

County Shropshire

Country England

Record set England Marriages 1538-1973

Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records

Subcategory Parish Marriages

Collections from England, Great Britain

Notes: from image

M [marriage]

These weare merred at the chappell of Burton by Litoure Earl of O Thomas Gold

lase Vicare Eew. The 9 day of September 1560 Thomas Gardner of Kespass of Acton Burnell & Elizabeth the daughter of John Hotchekys of Gose Bradeley.

!Source: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22888 - British History Online Much Wenlock

-

Sponsor Victoria County History

Publication A History of the County of Shropshire: Volume 10

Author C R J Currie [Editor], A P Baggs, G C Baugh, D C Cox, Jessie McFall, P A Stamper

Year published 1998

Supporting documents Note on abbreviations

Pages 399-447

-

Citation 'Much Wenlock', A History of the County of Shropshire: Volume 10: Munslow Hundred

[part], The Liberty and Borough of Wenlock [1998], pp. 399-447. URL:

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22888. Date accessed: 01 March 2008.

_______________________________________________________________________

BRADELEY, formerly Goose [or West] Bradeley, was held of Wenlock priory in 1255 by Robert de

Beysin, lord of Broseley, [fn. 45] though descendants of Eadric of Wenlock, lord of Bourton in

1086, seem to have had an interest there in the late 13th century. [fn. 46] John Easthope, lord of

Easthope, had property in West Bradeley in 1427, which his feoffees conveyed in 1440 to John

Ashfield of Much Wenlock. [fn. 47] In 1443 Ashfield [d. c. 1455] held the reputed manor of

Bradeley, [fn. 48] and John Ashfield [d. 1506] held it of John Harewell, lord of Broseley.

Ashfield was succeeded by his son Christopher, [fn. 49] who sold Bradeley to John Leveson in 1544.

[fn. 50] A year later Leveson sold it to Richard Lawley, purchaser of Bourton and Callaughton.

[fn. 51] The estate descended thereafter with Bourton. [fn. 52] A connexion with Broseley remained

in 1620. [fn. 53] Still reputed a manor in 1799, [fn. 54] Bradeley seems later to have been

absorbed into Bourton manor. [fn. 55]

-

In 1281 a rent of 24s. in Bradeley was given to Limebrook priory [Herefs.] by Sir Reynold of Lee,

[fn. 56] and the priory seems to have retained it until its surrender in 1539. [fn. 57]

___________________________________________________________________________

The chapel of the HOLY TRINITY, Bourton, so dedicated by 1897, [fn. 18] was never assigned a

separate district. Bradeley people were baptized there by the 14th century, [fn. 19] a wedding was

allowed in 1538, [fn. 20] and burials were made by 1673, [fn. 21] but no baptism or burial

registers were kept until 1841 [fn. 22] and there was no licence for weddings until 1955. [fn. 23]

A service of Our Lady, endowed with land at Bradeley, was said to have existed before the

Reformation. [fn. 24]

-

A 'parson' was mentioned in 1556, [fn. 25] but the separate benefice dated from 1770 when

endowments of £200 each were provided by the Revd. Francis Southern, Sir Robert Lawley, and Queen

Anne's Bounty. In 1771 Queen Anne's Bounty gave £400 more to meet the Southern and Lawley

benefactions, [fn. 26] and that year the living was recorded as a perpetual curacy in the vicar's

gift. [fn. 27] Its value was £40 in 1793. [fn. 28] Queen Anne's Bounty gave another £200 in 1826.

[fn. 29] In 1851 the endowment included Black House farm [in Bettws-y-crwyn] [fn. 30] worth £50 a

year, while £6 a year came from the Bounty. [fn. 31] The vicar himself held the curacy 1788-1833

and 1870- 1926. [fn. 32] R. H. G. More, minister of Shipton, [fn. 33] served the cure unpaid

1833-69 [fn. 34] assigning the income to an assistant curate, [fn. 35] a practice adopted by the

vicar after 1870 [fn. 36] but discontinued before 1898. [fn. 37]

-

In 1716 there was a weekly service, with sermon. [fn. 38] In 1851 there were two Sunday services

in summer and one in winter. Morning attendance averaged 95 adults, afternoon 25. [fn. 39]

Congregations at the end of the 19th century 'represented all classes'. [fn. 40]

-

The small plain chapel stands on a hill above the village. It is built of sandstone and limestone

rubble and has a chancel with north vestry and a nave with south porch, north aisle, and

timber-clad west bell turret. [fn. 41] The nave seems from its south doorway [integral with the

nave plinth] to have been built in the 12th century. The plain cylindrical font seems contemporary

with it. The upper part of the nave south wall was rebuilt later in the Middle Ages; there was

formerly a square-headed window east of the porch. [fn. 42] The porch is later than the rebuilt

south wall. The chancel was heightened, probably in the later Middle Ages; there was a late 13th-

or early 14th-century square-headed window, since blocked, in its south wall, and the head of

another remains in the east wall over a 19th-century gothic window. In 1844 a Norman aisle was

added to the nave at Lady Lawley's expense, [fn. 43] presumably with the chancel arch and two nave

windows, which are in the same style. A north vestry was added to the chancel later in the

century.

-

A large ornate wooden pulpit dates from the later 16th or earlier 17th century, and panels of the

same period are used in the 19th-century reading desk, lectern, and dado. The communion rail is

earlier 18th-century. There were two bells in 1552; [fn. 44] four new ones were cast by Thomas

Rudhall in 1770. [fn. 45] The plate consisted in 1961 of a silver chalice, paten, and flagon, all

dated 1774, and a silver paten of 1885. [fn. 46] The funeral hatchment of Lord Wenlock [d. 1834]

hangs in the aisle. The pews are of 1844 [fn. 47] and so, probably, is the west gallery, which has

a stair from the aisle. The only stained glass, in the chancel east window, was dedicated in 1955.

[fn. 48] The communion table dates from c. 1972. [fn. 49]

!Source: www.findmypast.co.uk Record Transcription: England Marriages 1538-1973

First name[s] Elizabeth

Last name Hotchekys

Name note -

Marriage year 1560

Marriage date 09 Sep 1560

Marriage place Much Wenlock

Father's first name[s] John <<<

Father's last name Hotchekys

Spouse's first name[s] Thomas

Spouse's last name Gardnor

County Shropshire

Country England

Record set England Marriages 1538-1973

Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records

Subcategory Parish Marriages

Collections from England, Great Britain

!Source: www.findmypast.co.uk Record Transcription: Shropshire Marriages

First name[s] Elizabeth

Last name Hotchekys

Marriage year 1560

Marriage date 09 Sep 1560

Marriage place Much Wenlock

Denomination Anglican

Father's first name[s] John <<<

Father's last name Hotchekys

Spouse's first name[s] Thomas

Spouse's last name Gardard

Spouse's residence Acton

County Shropshire

Register date range 1558-1642

Archive reference P198/A/1/1

Page 6

Register type Composite

Record set Shropshire Marriages

Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records

Subcategory Parish Marriages

Collections from Great Britain, England