Mathew Sylvester Connors


Personal and Family Information

Mathew was born on 1 FEB 1869 in Glascow, Scotland, the son of unknown parents.

He died on 2 MAY 1940 in St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri.

His wife was Theresea Maude Edwards, who he married on 14 JUN 1888. The place has not been found. Their five known children were Leo (c1889-1957), Charles (c1891-?), Thomas (c1893-?), Connors (c1895-?) and Jane (c1897-?).


Birth1 FEB 1869
Place: Glascow, Scotland
Death2 MAY 1940
Place: St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri
Burial5 MAY 1940
Place: Burlingame Cmtry, Burlingame, Osage County, Kansas


Note 1

!Obituary: [A Burlingame Newspaper] -- Services Held Here For M. S. Connors --

!P: Funeral services for Matthew S. Connors, 71, were held at the Donald A. Lee Funeral Home on Sunday afternoon, May 5, at 2:30 o'clock. The services were conducted by Father A. R. Portelance of the Catholic church of Osage City, and burial was made in the Burlingame cemetery.

!P: Mr. Connors, long a resident of Alton, Ill., died in a hospital in St.. Louis on Thursday, May 2, to which he had gone for treatment a few weeks before. Funeral rites were held at 10 a. m. on Saturday, May 4, in Old Cathedral at Alton with a preliminary service on Friday evening when members of the Alton Council of the Knights of Columbus in which Mr. Connors held high rank met to recite the rosary.

!P: Although of Irish ancestry, Mathew Sylvester Connors was a native of Scotland, born February 1, 1869 near Glascow. His parents died in Scotland and when a boy of ten Mathew came to this country with his grandmother who settled in Franklin county, Kansas. There he grew to manhood and when 21 years of age became a brakeman on the Missouri Pacific, working also for the Denver & Rio Grand, and later for a seven year period for the Sante Fe.

!P: It was after a short venture in the coal business, with mining interests at Burlingame that Mr. Connors returned to railroading, taking a position as yardmaster for the Chicago & Alton at Roodhouse. His return to railroading had an unfortunate aftermath. Shortly after locating at Roodhouse in 1908, he jumped in to help a yard crew in a tie-up of switch trains, and lost part of his leg in a fall under the cars. On recovering a few months later, he secured an artificial leg, and was assigned by the Alton as night yardmaster at Roodhouse.

!P: Typical of Connors' sunny outlook on life, well known to aquaintances, was the manner in which he triumphed over the disability of the loss of his leg to carry on the vigorous occupation of a switching forman. In 1910 Mr. Connors was tranfered to the company's yards at Alton where he had since resided. He retired from railroading in 1923; served the city as police judge and justice of the peace for many years.

!P: On June 14, 1888 Mr. Connors was united in marriage to Miss Theresa Maude Edwards, oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Edwards of this city.

!P: There survive his wife, three sons, Leo of New York City, Charles of St.. Louis, and Thomas Connors of Shipman, Ill.; and two daughters, Mrs. C. E. Salter of Washington, Mo., and Miss Jane Connors of Alton, Ill. All came to Burlingame for the burial service with the exception of the eldest son, Leo. Other relatives present were: Mrs. Edith Edwards Sibles of Denver,.... --